This is NOT an artist’s rendering. This shit is fo real!
Here’s the amazing video as well:
On August 31, 2012 a long filament of solar material that had been hovering in the sun’s atmosphere, the corona, erupted out into space at 4:36 p.m. EDT. The coronal mass ejection, or CME, traveled at over 900 miles per second. The CME did not travel directly toward Earth, but did connect with Earth’s magnetic environment, or magnetosphere, causing aurora to appear on the night of Monday, September 3.
Pictured here is a lighten blended version of the 304 and 171 angstrom wavelengths. Cropped
Click through for more info.
- sariiel likes this
- joyfulboi1979 likes this
- joecoolwashere reblogged this from somuchscience
- frank-is-a-butt reblogged this from somuchscience
- alienabyss reblogged this from somuchscience and added:
- litty25 reblogged this from somuchscience
- litty25 likes this
- somuchscience posted this